Monday, February 8, 2010

The journey begins!

Last September I committed to a trip to Moab, UT. I weighed 249 pounds that day. I decided that in order to make the most of the trip, I would have to lose some weight. Someone I work with had recently lost quite a bit of weight and I asked her how she did it. She said all she did was count calories and ride her bike to work.
I decided I would do the same. Counting calories anyway. I created a Twitter account just for that purpose and began tweeting what I was eating. I had to start eating better. Eating crap I hate like salad. You know, everything in salad grows in the dirt. There's no way that can be any good for you.
I went back to the gym and began working out 4 days a week. After I lost enough weight that I didn't mind being seen without a shirt, I went back to Bikram yoga. Now it's 5 months later and I'm 39 pounds lighter. I'm getting stronger too.
I been through a full battery of medical tests including a Cardiac Stress Test, Pulmonary Stress Test, Echo Cardiogram and a full blood panel. I have some issues, but overall I'm healthy as a horse.
Along the way I decided that since I turn 50 this year, I should do 50 extraordinary things to commemorate the occasion. Look forward to the list and feel free to submit ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marsh, here are some ideas for your 50th year:

    Plant 100 daffodils along the American River bike trail (or something else to give back for all many miles of enjoyment).

    Finish Eppie's Great Race as an ironman.

    Climb Horsetail Falls (I'll go with you).

    Hike the entire Tahoe Rim Trail this summer (8 day-long sections)

    Climb Freel Peak, the highest peak in the Lake Tahoe Basin.

    Eat a fried Twinkie and bungie jump at the State Fair.

    Swim (briefly) in Folsom Lake (or the river by your house) on New Year's Day.

    Write a limerick, which are always dirty ("There once was a man from Hiram Johnson")

    Run nude in the Bay to Breakers (unfortunately you're in Moab, so you'll need to do something naked there)

    Try every happy hour in downtown Sacramento (that's my ambition, but you can live the dream too!) -- see cowtowneats.com

    Kayak the entire lower American from Natomas Dam to the Sacramento River (we can start at the Rainbow Bridge to make it really difficult).

    ReplyDelete